Friday 28 November 2008

Old rockers

I'm desperately into music, all kinds of music really, but the genre that stands above all genres for me is Rock.
Well, classic brit-rock as I like to call it. I'm not really a fan of the expression "Rock" anyway, 'cause I think it has been ruined by hardcore fans with nails and black leather clothes and black make up.

As you might have figured, I'm into bands like the Who, the Kinks, Stones and let's not forget the Monkees, but also newer bands like the Kooks, Arctic Monkeys and so on.

Lately I've gotten this obsession for more glammed up seventies bands. It started with my intrest in the Who and the Kinks, 'cause as opposed to the Monkees and the Beatles, they continued in to the seventies and let their music get even better. This led to me liking things like Roxy Music, Steve Harley and the Cockney Rebel, etc. etc. and it also brought back my interest in David Bowie, Lou Reed, T-Rex and other bands and artists that dad used to play for me when I was younger.
Roxy Music

David Bowie

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel
This is all very well, 'cause it seems to give me some respect, although this would be amongst my dad's friends and my friend's parents, but still, I'm proud of my music taste.


It's just that, I find it a little disturbing that this is what appeals to me.


Music which is about 30 years old, is what makes me feel at home.
Why am I instantly drawn to this music?
It wouldn't be so odd if I lived at the same time as this music, but I mean, I feel I can relate to the lyrics of two generations before my own.
It seems I'm only drawn towards the works of men in their sixties?
I've got to admit though, I really do enjoy all the great music we are getting nowadays.
But I can't remember last time a modern song moved me by either it's lyrics or it's melody.
It might be that I'm glorifying the aeras in which the songs were written, and that I would feel different if I actually lived in the sixties or seventies, but unlike other "bitter" classic rock-fans, I am open to anything that turns me on. I even enjoy me some Britney when I feel like it.
It could also be the innocent rebeliousnes about these songs. How they would use referrences to sex, masturbation, drugs or even just plain swear words, and afterwards have to insist that they meant something else.
Also, I don't think anyone has managed to write as beautifully about depression or teenage angst as these bands.
Some would probably say Nirvana, but then I feel Nirvana is a bit of an overkill really.
There's something about not having such a dark and gloomy attitude, and being able to see this depressive world from a happier angle which makes me feel that it's ok to feel down, but you can't let it ruin you.

I know that with the amount of drugs theses people took, they probably wouldn't be the best preachers, but then that's a different matter again, and I could waste another blog post just writing about that.


Bottom line is:
I do have a taste of music which is very unusual for teenage girls, and yes, I do think people like Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey are dead sexy, even in their older days(I know, a bit weird, yes...) but that's just the way my taste is, I can't really help it.
And maybe it's all just good for me? Being into older music has given me quite a lot of knowledge about it and things to talk about when in company.
I've had many discussions with Magnus over the last three years...


Anyway, will be going now. It's pouring with rain outside, but I still feel like going to a café or something:)

No comments: