Friday 7 November 2008

As if there weren't enought blogs about the election...

There has been a lot of Obama-talk the last week, obviously, and in Norway we've been discussing the fact that it's history and how far America has come now etc.
But what annoys me, is that they keep comparing USA with Norway, saying that an event like this could never happen here. I don't think that's fair at all!
USA has had people immigrating for about 250 years(even longer if you count with the slavery), while in Norway, they only started coming here about thirty years ago, and so the immigrants in USA are far more intergrated in their culture than what the immigrants in Norway are. How can you expect someone who can hardly speak norwegian to be elected as prime minister? I think we'll have to wait at least another twenty years for that.
Ok, I'm being a bit generalizing, 'cause we already have immigrants with profiled positions in Norwegian politics, but my point is that little Norway, who until not too long ago was concidered quite a primitive country by other parts of the world(and definitely by Monty Python), shouldn't be compared to bigger, older and far more experienced America.
Although I think there are some things USA could learn from us;D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you inspire me!
this was actually very interesting. I'm very interested in your opinion on a lot of political issues, so just keep writing them down ;) keep up the good work :D