Sunday 24 August 2008

Who Ruined Hip Hop?

I've been watching Mtv today(and yesterday) and they've got this anniversary going.
I think it's 20 years since the first "Yo! Mtv Raps" aired or something.

Anyway, as many other classic rock fans(somehow I feel that's making me sound dull and nerdy...shame!) I was a little sceptical towards the whole HipHop scene, which isn't really that weird when you look at the talentless shit going on these days...

But now I've really grown to respect the HipHop industry a lot! I mean the kind of music they were making back in those days really ment something, and people put more soul into it.

Just look at world famous artists like Rihanna, Timbaland etc.! They make music that most people attract towards (unfortunately) but there is NO soul or heart put into it!

Rihanna doesn't make her own material, and all Timbaland does is add some "boom-thicka-click-thicka-click-click" and that's about it, all his songs sound the same!

But then we have really talented artists who have been at it for a while, like Outkast.... I admire Outkast more than anyone in the HipHop industry.

And there's also Salt n' Pepa! My parents used to play me "Shoop" in the car when I was four, and I still remember it!

All in all, the whole Rap-scene seemed a lot more soulfull and real ten years ago. I hate saying it, 'cause that seemes to be my opinion on a lot of things, but there was juist this original style, where they wore the wackiest outfits, weird hats, and rapped about things that mattered to them.

They didn't stand there like idiots moaning other people's words.

Women earned themselves respect, and didn't let men treat them like bitches and whores, and Queen Latifa proves my point very well there.
I just wish I was back in the time when Rap was new, underground and exiting, and really meant something. HipHop has become too mainstream, and I think that's going to kill it in the end, 'cause they let their artists become braindead manequins, and with lack of talent comes the day people are going to get sick of the same kind of beats played in different songs over and over again...
Long live Old School HipHop!

2 comments:

Me said...

i agree with you completely. i don't necessarily listen to all their music but i respect them for starting something. i have completely given up on todays music because even when someone "good" shows up, they still can't beat all the classic rock i listen to... and to tell the truth i'd much rather be listening to music that satisfies me completely instead of forcing myself to like something.

oh wow that was long... haha
nice blog!

Sun said...

Thank you!
Nice to know someone agrees with me:D
I know how you feel, 'cause I do try to be open about new music, it's just that the older music has a different quality to it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts;)