Thursday 18 September 2008

Keith Moon(1946-1978)

I can't believe I missed this!
I have to post a little tribute to Keith Moon, the Who's first and best drummer!
7th of September this year marks the 30th anniversary of his death.
Keith Moon is considered one of the (quote) "greatest and most distinctive rock drummers of all time"(end quote).
Keith Moon was born in Webley, and lived there as a boy.
He was said to be very restless and hyperactive.
(Later in life, he would be known all over the world for his habit of trashing hotelrooms)
He had a hard time concentrating at school, and it seemed music was the only thing that could hold his attention.
Wikipedia has a very funny note no Moon's behaviour at school(quote): "his art teacher commented: 'Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.'[2] Teacher Aaron Sofocleous praised his music skills and encouraged his chaotic style, even if one school report noted "He has great ability, but must guard against a tendency to show off."(end quote)
There are a lot of myths around Keith Moon. One of the most famous ones is the story about his 21 birthday, which was celebrated at The Holiday Inn(Flint, Michigan), where he allegedly drove a Cadillac into the Hotel's pool. This, and a lot of other incidents at Moon's birthday party, led to the group being banned both from The Holliday Inn and Flint for life.
Moon definetely set the standard for Sex and drugs And Rock n'Roll...
Well, you can read all about Keith Moon on Wikipedia, so I'll just post some pictures.
Keith Moon at 15
Some years later, after joining the Who
Keith in the(dare I say late) seventies.
The years in the Who changed Moon's appearance quite a lot from 1964 until his death in 1978.
But I don't think the picture at the right is as late as '78 though.
Keith was very fond of dressing up, however, I don't think he was into cross-dressing fo any kind. These pictures are funny anyway:)
So, that's my little tribute to my favourite drummer of all time!
I still haven't figured out if I would've liked to meet him or not though....

No comments: