Sunday 12 October 2008

Death of A Clown

"My makeup is dry and it clags on my chin
Im drowning my sorrows in whisky and gin
The lion tamers whip doesnt crack anymore
The lions they wont fight and the tigers wont roar"

What a wonderfully weird song this is...
There is absolutely no information about it on the internet, and I'm aware that I probably would have to spend money on something to get any facts at all, all I know is that Dave Davies(of the Kinks) wrote this as a peak at his solo career, but eventually it was realeased on a Kinks album.


"The old fortune teller lies dead on the floor
Nobody needs fortunes told anymore
The trainer of insects is crouched on his knees
And frantically looking for runaway fleas"

Davies says:
(quote)"With Death of A Clown I did feel like I was getting a bit fed up... And it was about... just about the way I was feeling."(end quote)

The song is wonderfully written, and weird and it has this sad but beautiful atmosphere.
It came out in 1967, and if Dave Davies was fed up then it's a bloody wonder that he managed to get himself through another 30 years with the Kinks.I'm glad he did though, 'cause a lot of good stuff has come from the Kinks after that.

I would really like to know more about this song, 'cause I really really love it!!
Someday when I get the time, I'll also post someting on Dave Davies:D

No comments: